Saturday 17 September 2011

Should he stay or should he go now?

Sunday's game will be the biggest in Fernando Torres' Chelsea career, some claim his Chelsea career properly started this season, but the truth is it started last January. Editor Dean Mears ponders whether Chelsea should look to sell Torres if he doesn't come good.


As much as any Chelsea fan, I wanted us to sign Torres, I sat watching the sky sports transfer window online all day in January, and I missed when it was announced that Torres had signed, I just couldn't believe it, in fact I didn't believe it until I saw him in the flesh wearing the Chelsea shirt. But as a big club competing for major honours, Chelsea cannot afford to wait months on end for him to come good.

When El Nino signed, he was out of form and out of confidence at Liverpool, and nothing's really changed since his put the blue shirt on. Just one goal in 9 months, now if I was a car salesman and sold one car in 9 months I'd consider myself very lucky to have a job. Now during a heated Twitter exchange, those supporting  Nando said he hadn't provided because of lack of service and he has only had one game with Mata (Where he assisted two goals) and we should judge him after this season. But I cannot overlook the months where he failed to deliver the goods, and for £50 million, he should have showed some value.



I used a television analogy on Twitter and I'm going to stick with it, if you brought a TV for a lot of money (Torres) you wouldn't wait 9 months for to work, you would also expect for it to come with the right scart lead (Mata). You'd be pretty annoyed having to go out and spend even more money for something you've already paid too much more.

Strikers get judged on goals, and until now Torres hasn't scored, and if he doesn't have at least 10-15 by January, I think we should seriously consider moving him on. Let's not forget we've already got Sturridge, Drogba, Anelka, Kalou and the £18 million 'new Drogba' Lakuka waiting for a chance to lead the line. And like I've already said, managers at Chelsea have to win silverware and we will struggle to keep up with free scoring Manchester United and City. I desperately want Torres to come good, I won't take him out of my fantasy football team just in case he does (he's costing me there) but we may have to put our tails between our legs and look to cut our losses.

No comments:

Post a Comment